Friday, May 25, 2012

Lost in the Translation

A sign at our hotel in Formosa...




"No throwing of head" (they meant to say "No diving") reminds me of Rudyard Kipling's line, "If you can keep your head while all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you..." and more significantly that classic literary line from the movie "Dumb and Dumber", when Lloyd says to Harry, "We got no food, no jobs... our pets' heads are falling off!" (My children used to watch the video a thousand times in the back of the Suburban during our trips to Utah and Colorado...I practically know the dialogue by heart!)
Just in case we are staying away from the pool...

1 comment:

  1. I remember these types of signs on my mission. It makes me wonder, if that's what their best attempt at English sounds like, I wondervwhat my attempt at Portuguese sounded like!?

    ReplyDelete