Thursday, April 12, 2012

So, How Did Your Morning Go?

Here's how ours went this morning in Ibarreta...a little drive down a country road...


That started to bog down a little in the mud...



That eventually led to us being completely stuck in the mud! Here is the view out my driver's door window...



That's not good. So we sat stuck in no man's land for half an hour in the rain (yes, it even started raining). Two cowboys on horses passed us by shaking their heads...when I asked if they could help, they asked if I had a lazo! Sent them on their merry way. Then I called the local missionaries and they started rounding up the locals for the rescue! Meanwhile a few people who lived somewhere nearby came up to the HiLux and told me I had made a mistake and should not have come down the road. One nice older man asked us if we wanted him to bring us some hot water for our mate while we waited (we don't drink mate). Wasn't sure he and I were on the same page as to what needed to be done in this situation!



And so we waited...and waited...and waited until the rescue crew came...



We had people running everywhere....some saying go forward, some saying go backward, go to the left, go to the right. But somehow, with my four wheel drive, about 15 people and 1pickup (of sorts) I was able to back out. Of course, what came next was entirely predictable...we had to rescue the rescue vehicle...



But once we all hit a paved road we did not look back! An hour and a half after we started down the road, we detoured around town to get to the Church building.



Here are the heroes of the day...





We are close...but not too close...



I had to prove to them that I got dirty, too!



And so, you thought you had a tough morning because your toast was cold, the sprinklers got your newspaper a little wet or your favorite shirt was in the dirty clothes hamper.....hah, you've got nothing!

2 comments:

  1. Based on the smiles I'm wondering if this happened on purpose...

    So glad you got home safely as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great story! Reminds me of when mom and i almost got the mini van stuck doing fast offerings!

    ReplyDelete